Massage While Sitting
CURIOUS...Wondering what other massage professionals think about performing massage while sitting for most of the treatment. Complete honesty is appreciated.
It is very difficult to use gravity to one's advantage while sitting. Especially for deep tissue modalities, it is highly advantageous for therapists to use a low table, work standing up, & use lunges and proper body mechanics to feed much of their weight into their clients. For example, there is no way I could get the 80+ lbs of pressure that I must sometimes bring to bear during Deep Tissue massage using just my fingertips or while seated.
That said, not every area of the body, or massage modality, or client requires that type of pressure, in which case whatever position the therapist feels is best is probably perfectly fine.View other answers...
- Pain and Massage: Is More Pain Really = More Gain?
- Which Massage Techniques Produce the Best Clinical Results?
- Soft Tissue Issues Experienced By Massage Therapists
- Best Business Practices for Gaining Clientele
- Improving Client-Therapist Matches
- What are the Biggest Issues Facing Massage Therapists in Your Area?